PhD / Postdoc Position
PhD / Postdoc Position
The interdisciplinary research of the Professorship of Ecological Services (PES), University of Bayreuth aims at better ecological management of agricultural landscapes facing climate change. Towards this goal, a PhD/postdoc position is currently available to conduct research on decision-making of land users, land use change and ecosystem services. Your research will contribute to interdisciplinary research where universities, research institutes and stakeholders collaborate.
Open position (conditional to financial support): Modelling land use decision-making relevant for ecosystem services
phd or postdoc, starting March 1st, 2022 or later
Your task: In this socio-economic work you will use information from agricultural statistics and from surveys on farmers’ and citizens’ preferences for ecosystem services. This is the basis to further develop an agent-based model of agricultural land use in NetLogo. The results will drive process-based models to assess ecosystem services of biomass production, carbon storage and nitrogen retention under climate scenarios.
This position is part of the BMBF-project “Sustainable use of alpine and pre-alpine grassland soils in a changing climate (SUSALPS)” in its third phase from Feb 1st, 2022 until Jan 31st, 2025.
Your qualifications for the open position:
- Candidates holding a Master or PhD degree in environmental, natural, social sciences, geography or economics are invited to apply, because the work will be interdisciplinary
- Very good study record
- Methodological knowledge in geostatistical models in R, agent-based models (preferably NetLogo)
- Since the case study area is located in Bavaria (Germany) and the work includes strong stakeholder involvement, very good German language skills are required
- The Professorship of Ecological Services (PES) offers an interdisciplinary working environment
- Membership in the Bayreuth Center of Ecology and Environmental Research (BayCEER) of the University of Bayreuth with more than 60 senior researchers and postdocs with a research focus on biodiversity, ecosystem functions and services.
- PhD students will be enrolled in the PhD program for Ecology and Environmental Research PEER, which offers support by mentoring, structured course program and access to workshops & seminars.
Handicapped persons will be given preference in cases with equal qualification. The University of Bayreuth is dedicated to increasing the proportion of women employed in science, and requests explicitly applications from women.
Applicants should send in one pdf a motivation letter, curriculum vitae, certificates with transcripts of grades, list of publications, 1-3 sample publications, and contact addresses of 2 referees via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Prof. Dr. Thomas Koellner, Faculty of Biology, Chemistry and Geosciences, University of Bayreuth, 95440 Bayreuth, Germany).
Date of publication January 12, 2022 - open for applications until positions filled. See status on PES webpage or contact Prof. Dr. Koellner for further information.
Notes for applicants concerning General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) information requirements >>