- Dr. Gisele AlarconHide
Gisele worked as a guest scientist in our group in 2012.
- Dr. Sebastian Arnhold †Hide
Nachruf – Dr. Sebastian Arnhold – † Nov. 2017
Since 2014: Senior scientist at the Professorship of Ecological Services, University of Bayreuth
2013-2014: Postdoctoral research associate at the Department of Soil Physics, University of Bayreuth
2009-2013: Doctoral student in the International Research Training Group TERRECO, University of Bayreuth
2002-2008: Diploma student at the Technical University of Freiberg
Agricultural intensification and international trade of agricultural products have increased the production and availability of food but caused substantial degradation of soil and water resources in many regions worldwide with dramatic consequences for the livelihood of local communities and the environment.
Sebastian is investigating the linkages between global markets and policies, local land use and management decisions, and their ecological consequences in regional human-environment systems. Major focus of his research is the development of a spatial modeling framework to predict the impacts of agricultural production on other ecosystem services such as water supply and soil fertility within a global economic context.
A better understanding of the relationship between global economic drivers and the social and ecological interactions within regional human-environment systems can help us to develop more sustainable land use policies and counteract further degradation of soil and water resources in the future.
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
Choi, K., Arnhold, S., Huwe, B., Reineking, B., 2017. Daily based Morgan-Morgan-Finney (DMMF) model: A spatially distributed conceptual soil erosion model to simulate complex soil surface conﬁgurations. Water 9, 278.
Maharjan, G., Ruidisch, M., Shope, C. L., Choi, K., Huwe, B., Kim, S. J., Tenhunen, J., Arnhold, S., 2016. Assessing the effectiveness of split fertilization and cover crop cultivation in order to conserve soil and water resources and improve crop productivity. Agricultural Water Management 163, 305-318.
Otieno, D., Ondier, J., Arnhold, S., Okach, D., Ruidisch, R., Lee, B., Kolb, A., Onyango, J., Huwe, B., 2015. Patterns of CO2 exchange and productivity of the herbaceous vegetation and trees in a humid savanna in western Kenya. Plant Ecology 216, 1441-1456.
Arnhold, S., Otieno, D., Onyango, J., Koellner, T., Huwe, B., Tenhunen, J., 2015. Soil properties along a gradient from hillslopes to the savanna plains in the Lambwe Valley, Kenya. Soil and Tillage Research 154, 75-83.
Lindner, S., Otieno, D., Lee, B., Xue, W., Arnhold, S., Kwon, H., Huwe, B., Tenhunen, J., 2014. Carbon dioxide exchange and its regulation in the main agro-ecosystems of Haean catchment in South Korea. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 199, 132-145.
Arnhold, S., Lindner, S., Lee, B., Martin, E., Kettering, J., Nguyen, T. T., Koellner, T., Ok, Y., Huwe, B., 2014. Conventional and organic farming: Soil erosion and conservation potential for row crop cultivation. Geoderma 219-220, 89-105.
Shope, C. L., Maharjan, G., Tenhunen, J., Seo, B., Kim, K., Riley, J., Arnhold, S., Koellner, T., Ok, Y., Peiffer, S., Kim, B., Park, J., Huwe, B., 2014. Using the SWAT model to improve process descriptions and define hydrologic partitioning in South Korea. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 18, 539-557.
Bartsch, S., Peiffer, S., Shope, C. L., Arnhold, S., Jeong, J., Park, J., Eum, J., Kim, B., Fleckenstein, J. H., 2013. Monsoonal-type climate or land-use management: Understanding their role in the mobilization of nitrate and DOC in a mountainous catchment. Journal of Hydrology 507, 149-162.
Ruidisch, M., Arnhold, S., Huwe, B., Bogner, C., 2013. Is ridge cultivation sustainable? A case study from the Haean catchment, South Korea. Applied and Environmental Soil Science, Article ID 679467, 11 pages.
Arnhold, S., Ruidisch, M., Bartsch, S., Shope, C. L., Huwe, B., 2013. Simulation of runoff patterns and soil erosion on mountainous farmland with and without plastic-covered ridge-furrow cultivation in South Korea. Transactions of the ASABE 56, 667-679.
Ruidisch, M., Kettering, J., Arnhold, S., Huwe, B., 2013. Modeling water flow in a plastic mulched ridge cultivation system on hillslopes affected by South Korean summer monsoon. Agricultural Water Management 116, 204-217.
Arnhold, S., 2013. Soil erosion and conservation potential of row crop farming in mountainous landscapes of South Korea. Dissertation thesis, University of Bayreuth, Germany.
Arnhold, S., 2008. Estimation of particulate phosphorus transport into the Pöhl reservoir using the soil erosion simulation model EROSION 3D. Diploma thesis, Technical University of Freiberg, Germany (in German).
Arnhold, S., McLachlan, N., Koellner, T., 2016. Potential leakage effects of EU agri-environmental policies on global ecosystem services. European Ecosystem Services Conference, September 19-23, Antwerp, Belgium.
Arnhold, S., Kim, I., Ahn, S., Ruidisch, M., Kim, S., Koellner, T., 2015. Land use and land cover change in mountainous watersheds: Consequences for ecosystem services of water yield and water quality. International Soil and Water Assessment Tool Conference, June 24-26, Pula, Italy.
Arnhold, S., Otieno, D., Huwe, B., 2014. Impact of land use on soil properties of the Lambwe Valley. Consortium for Research in East African Tropical Ecosystems Workshop, February 19, Maseno, Kenya.
Arnhold, S., Lindner, S., Lee, B., Martin, E., Kettering, J., Ruidisch, M., Stöckler, E., Bartsch, S., Eum, J., 2013. Land management, erosion, and sediment transport in a mountainous landscape. Ecosystem Change and Society Workshop, January 14-20, Bayreuth, Germany.
Arnhold, S., 2012. Soil erosion and conservation - Examples of erosion research in South Korea. Land Use Systems Research Group Seminar, December 18, Maseno, Kenya.
Arnhold, S., Stöckler, E., Huwe, B., 2012. Strategies to develop and evaluate soil conservation measures for complex mountainous farmland in South Korea. EGU General Assembly, April 22-27, Vienna, Austria.
Arnhold, S., 2011. Soil erosion and management measures in mountainous watersheds of Korea. TERRECO Science Conference, October 2-7, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.
Arnhold, S., Shope, C. L., Huwe, B., 2011. Plastic covered cropping systems: Runoff patterns and soil erosion rates. International Symposium on Soil Erosion and Landscape Evolution, September 18-21, Anchorage, USA.
Arnhold, S., Ruidisch, M., Glaser, B., Huwe, B., Kettering, J., Ok, Y., Tenhunen, J., 2009. Soil erosion and management measures in the Haean catchment of Korea. AGU Fall Meeting, December 14-18, San Francisco, USA.
- Dr. Yohannes AyanuHide
Yohannes finished his PhD-Studies "Remote sensing-based analysis of land cover detrimental for ecosystem services in fragile lands of Ethiopia" in 2015.
- Dr. Laura de BaanHide
Laura was external PhD student and teacher on Life Cycle Assessment in our group.
- Dr. Andrea Früh-MüllerHide
- 02/2017-08/2018: Project SUSALPS - Sustainable use of alpine and pre- alpine grassland soils in a changing climate
- Since 02/2017: Research associate at the Professorship of Ecological Services, University of Bayreuth
- 2015-2017: Project ZA-NExUS - Zukunftsfähige Agrarpolitik – Natur erhalten, Umwelt sichern; Funded by the German Federal Agency for Nature Conservation
- Since 2013: Doctoral student at the Department of Animal Ecology and Institute of Landscape Ecology and Resource Management, Justus-Liebig University Gießen
- 2013-2015: Project JAGUAR – Sustainable futures for cultural landscapes of Japan and Germany – biodiversity and ecosystem services as unifying concepts for the management of agricultural regions
- 2012 – 2013: Research associate at the Coordination Center for sustainable Development, Nürtingen-Geislingen University
- 2009 – 2012: Master student Global Change Ecology (M.Sc) at the University of Bayreuth
- 2008 – 2009: Landscape Architect, TEAM 4 in Nuremberg, Germany
- 2004 – 2008: Diploma student Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning (Dipl.-Ing.); University Ostwestfalen-Lippe, Höxter
- Dr. Andrea KaimHide
- since 2022: Head of Junior Research Group, Helmholtz-Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), Department Computational Landscape Ecology, Leipzig, Germany, Project AgriScape
- 2019-2022: Research Scientist, Professorship of Ecological Services, University of Bayreuth, Bayreuth, Germany.
- 2015-2022: PhD Candidate, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), Department Computational Landscape Ecology, Leipzig, Germany.
- 2014 – 2015: Student Research Assistant, Fraunhofer Center for International Management and Knowledge Economy (former Center for Central and Eastern Europe - MOEZ), Department Sustainability Management and Infrastructure Economics, Leipzig, Germany.
- 2014: Student Research Assistant, Universität Leipzig, Institute for Infrastructure and Resources Management, Leipzig, Germany.
- 2013 – 2014: Occupational Trainee, The University of Queensland, Centre for Biodiversity and Conservation Science, Brisbane, Australia.
- 2012: Studies in Mathematics and Economics (ERASMUS scholarship), Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain.
- 2008 – 2015: Studies in Business Mathematics (German Diploma), Universität Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany.
- Yohannes KidaneHide
Yohannes was working as Coordinator of M.Sc. study programme Global Change Ecology (GCE) from 10/2011 to 3/2012.
- Jessica KiesswetterHide
Jessica Kiesswetter was working as Secretary for the Professorship of Ecological Services from 2014 to 2019.
- Dr. Ilkwon KimHide
Ilkwon was working in the TERRECO project between 2012 and 2016 and was PhD student in the group.
- Ervin Kosatica Hide
- 2017: PhD student and research associate on the MedWater project (BMBF / Grow program) at the Professorship of Ecological Services (PES), University of Bayreuth, Germany
- 2015/16: Junior Knowledge Management Consultant at UNCCD Secretariat, Bonn, Germany
- 2015: Intern at IPBES Secretariat, Bonn, Germany
- 2015: Intern at the UNCCD Secretariat, Bonn Germany
- 2013-2016: MSc Global Change Ecology, University of Bayreuth, Germany
- 2010-2013: BSc Applied Ecology in Agriculture, University of Zadar, Croatia
- Daniela KretzHide
Daniela was working as Coordinator of M.Sc. study programme Global Change Ecology from 2012 to 2013.
- Irmgard LauterbachHide
Irmgard Lauterbach was working as Secretary for the Professorship of Ecological Services from 2009 to 2014.
- Dr. Saem LeeHide
Saem was PhD student in our group and was working in the TERRECO project between 2011 and 2015.
- Dr. Danielle Maia SouzaHide
Subsequent to her staff membership from 11/2010 to 04/2011, Danielle started working at the Joint Research Centre (JRC) of the European Commission.
- Dr. Kelsey McDonoughHide
- 02/2019-01/2020: Postdoctoral Research Scientist at the Professorship of Ecological Services, University of Bayreuth
- 2014-2018: Graduate Research Assistant/Graduate Teaching Assistant in the Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Kansas State University
- 2016-2018: Ph.D. student in Biological and Agricultural Engineering at Kansas State University
- 2014-2015: M.S. student in Biological and Agricultural Engineering at Kansas State University
- 2013: Internship in the National Science Foundation’s “Climate Change and Mitigation” Research Experience for Undergraduates Program at Kansas State University
- 2012: Internship at BioProcess Algae
- 2009: Internship in the University of Rhode Island’s Graduate School of Oceanography
- 2009-2014: B.S. student in Biological and Agricultural Engineering at North Carolina State University
- Dr. Bunafsha MislimshoevaHide
Bunafsha was PhD student in our group between 2011 and 2015.
- PD Dr. Trung Thanh NguyenHide
Trung worked as a senior researcher at the Bayreuth Center of Ecology and Environmental Research (BayCEER) at the University of Bayreuth and associated to o. After that he joined the University of Hannover, Institute for Environmental Economics and World Trade.
- GM Jakirullah NooruddinHide
- Since 12/2017: Research associate at the Professorship of Ecological Services (PES), University of Bayreuth
- Since 2017: PhD student at the Professorship of Ecological Services (PES), University of Bayreuth
- 2017: Research associate at the Institute of Soil Science and Site Ecology, Technical University of Dresden
- 2016: Research assistant at the Institute of Soil Science and Site Ecology, Technical University of Dresden
- 2014-2017: Master student Hydro Science and Engineering in the faculty of Environmental Science at Technical University of Dresden
- 2009-2013: Master student Manage Information Systems at University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 2004-2008: Bachelor student Civil Engineering at Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET), Bangladesh
- Since 12/2017: Research associate at the Professorship of Ecological Services (PES), University of Bayreuth
- Dr. Patrick PoppenborgHide
- 2009-2018: PhD student at the Professorship of Ecological Services, University of Bayreuth
- 2007/2008: Freelance work at the Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries (vTI), University of Hamburg
- 2007: Scientific assisstant at the Research Center Landscape Development and Mining Landscapes, Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus
- 2007: Internship at the Vattenfall Europe Mining AG, Cottbus
- 2007: Master of Science with a major in Tropical and International Forestry, University of Goettingen
- 2006: Master's thesis data collection at STORMA, CeTSAF, Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 2005: Study project at the GTZ Mekong River Commission (MRC), Vientiane, Laos
- 2005: Graduate assisstant at the Institute of Silviculture, University of Goettingen
- 2005: Bachelor of Science at the Faculty of Forest Sciences and Forest Ecology, University of Goettingen
- 2002/2003: Internship and freelance work at forest management Graf von Kanitz, Cappenberg
- Dr. Christoph Schroeter-SchlaackHide
After his staff membership from 7/2011 to 12/2011, Christoph continued working for the UFZ.
- Leila Schuh Hide
Leila worked as student research assistant in the group in 2016.
- Paul SchumacherHide
Paul was student research assisstant in our group in 2014. He is now working with GIZ.
- Laura SommerHide
Laura was student research assisstant in 2014. Now she is working as PhD Candidate at the Department of Psychology (Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU)